Who Am I?
Accomplished Environmental, Health and Safety Manager with over 30 years experience working in a manufacturing setting.
EHS Manager with extensive experience in managing all health, safety and environmental activities to ensure compliance with local, state and federal regulations.
Proven track record in leading robust EHS programs, ensuring regulatory compliance and driving continuous environmental and safety improvement.
Stuart Kerkhoff, President
SAK Environmental can help your company with Safety Issues and Environmental Compliance, or Issues, or Matters
How I Got Here
A friend asked me to teach a Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) class. After teaching the class, I realized I could assist numerous companies with training needs, environmental compliance and safety. Why focus on one company when I could use my talents and assist numerous facilities.
Some of my accomplishments
- Coordinated sale of 7 chemical reactors and 15 stainless steel storage tanks for $240,000 by excellent verbal and communication skills.
- Performed inventory of customer’s hazardous and non-hazardous waste for disposal to keep customer in compliance with EPA regulations.
- Implemented fire extinguisher inspection program for facility using excellent communication skills with site workers to ensure safety in areas work was being performed.
- Reviewed analytical sample results to assist company with final disposition of material to keep company in compliance with pertinent regulations.
- Revised Safety Programs for Corporate Office: Monthly Safety Training, Biennial Hazardous Materials Physicals, Audit client worksites for compliance with company policies, Contractor Safety Review.
- Oversaw all environmental, health and safety aspects of manufacturing and warehouse operations.
- Conducted inspections of facility to identify environmental, health and safety risks.
- Led manufacturing facility to 2M hours without a Lost-Time injury by integrating EHS into operations.
- Prepared and conducted training in emergency response, confined space, respiratory, noise, OSHA, NPDES and Also prepared monthly safety meeting topics for monthly departmental safety meetings.
- Chaired Safety Committee which included identifying hazards and areas for improvement, tracking and communicating the completion of corrective actions to the senior management team.
- Implemented Lab Safety: Chemical Hygiene Plan, system of labeling, storing, properly disposing of lab chemicals, chemical fume hoods annual certification.
- Implemented $100,000 GHS SDS system so company could generate OSHA compliant SDSs. In addition, updated SDSs to make sure they were readily accessible when needed.
- Increased workplace safety by implementing a safety team consisting of hourly employees.
- Revise and maintain all environmental and safety policies and procedures for the facility.
- Developed and Implemented a near miss reporting and tracking system.
- Successfully led facility through 2 renewals in the NC SHARP program by attention to detail.
- Monitored compliance with environmental regulations and safety procedures.
- Successfully guided facility through OSHA mandated PEL of Methylene chloride from 500 to 25 ppm by implementing engineering and administrative changes on production line.
- Maintained records of employee exposure to chemical vapors in lab, mixing and production departments.
- Permitted facility to discharge 60,000 gpd remediated groundwater to a surface water body by effectively communicating requirements to environmental consultant, thus saving company $72,000 a year.
- Implemented system for reviewing SDSs for new chemicals before being placed into use to explain hazards to associates.
- Oversaw the installation, start up and daily operation of a $100,000 groundwater recovery system to remediate impacted groundwater at facility as required by RCRA Permit.
Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (# 11840)
Physical Chemical Class 1 Wastewater Operator (# 993806)
48 – Hour Incident Commander, Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response
30 – Hour OSHA Certification in General Industry
Certified in First Aid, AED – 2021
Certified Forklift Operator
ISO 9001 Internal Auditor
Alliance of Hazardous Materials Professionals
Institute of Hazardous Materials Managers
American Society of Safety Professionals
Union County Local Emergency Planning Committee
Scouts BSA, Scoutmaster Troop 97